Photo courtesy of @alena.christana
It's starting to heat up in the southern hemisphere, and that means cold brew matcha starts to feel all the more refreshing. As the temperatures climbs, why not cool off with a scoop of matcha green tea ice cream? Matcha green tea powder is used for lots of desserts and foods in Japanese culture. It can be used to add colour and flavour in loads of yummy foods, including mochi balls, cakes, soba noodles and sweets.
Following on from our previous recipe of matcha nice cream, this recipe for matcha green tea coconut ice cream gives you a delicious cold confection that will be a big hit as a light dessert at dinner parties, or a treat for the kids. The gentle flavour can add amazing balance to a rich meal. It can also give you a lovely herbal lift when the heat feels like it's just too much.
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 2 tbsp Mista Matcha Everyday Matcha powder
- ¼ cup of dates
- ¼ tsp xantham gum
- ¼ cup honey
- Add all ingredients except xantham gum into a blender and blend until combined
- Add in the xantham gum and blend again
- Have a taste and adjust flavour as necessary. You may need to add a bit more matcha if you like a stronger flavour.
- Transfer the blended mixture to a mixing bowl and chill for a couple of hours.
- If you have an ice cream maker, you can simply pour in and let the machine do the rest. However, for those of us who don’t have an ice cream maker, here’s what you’ll need to do.
- After chilling the mixture, pour or scoop into a snap-lock container and freeze for 4 hours. You’ll need stir it every hour to aerate, but I promise it’ll be worth it.